Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Gift of Presence


The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers. -Thich Nhat Hanh

Ten year old boys are tricky. I am still in shock that I have one already. He wants me nearby, but he doesn't want me or anyone else to know it. He wants me to tuck him in bed, but I can't hug him at the bus stop anymore. He needs his mama. But he also needs his mama to be present in a way that acknowledges he is getting older.

This week we created a squad of superheroes and villains. He loves to make up stories. Usually those stories are about the plastic superheroes for which he has so much affection. It allows him some creativity, but it restricts him. It is like coloring a picture instead of drawing his own. He has to stay in someone else's lines. He is using someone else's ideas, names and nemesis. I wanted to give him a blank slate, while taking advantage of spending some quality time together doing what he loves.

This project is easy, inexpensive, and doesn't take long. I bought a package of 8 wooden pegs at Hobby Lobby for 4 dollars. The only other supply needed is acrylic paint and brushes. We painted on capes, masks, and Luke chose an element to put on each superheroes chest. He has named them the Elemental Eight. There are heroes and villains among them. They all have powers and names that he thought of himself. All while spending time with his mama. Diving into the world of a ten year old boy for an afternoon was as much a gift to me and Luke as the new superheroes. One afternoon and hopefully memories that will last us both a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment