Monday, August 17, 2015

Busyness Does Not Equal Productivity


I was reading a book by Crystal Paine. The topic being schedules. A minimalist schedule is important because it keeps my life simple. Simple is the reason I am minimalist to begin with. The question she was asking the reader to consider: Are the things I am spending my time on helping me to achieve my goals? She suggest writing down the first 5-6 priorities in my life. Then take a look at my schedule. Am I spending the bulk of my time on things which are priorities for me?

I thought this exercise would be much easier than it turned out to be. My first attempt looked like this:
1. Faith
2. Marriage
3. Being a Mama
4. Church
5. Blog/ Message Board/ Promoting Minimalism
6. Healthy Diet
Then I thought, being a mama is too broad. If I spent 3 hours with Luke and 0 with Drew, I would be dissatisfied. Both of my children are a priority. Though don't ask me what I would have done if I had 8 kids. And my church is really an outflow of my faith.
1. Faith/ Church
2. Marriage
3. Being a Mama Luke
4. Church Drew
5. Blog/ Message Board/ Promoting Minimalism
6. Healthy Diet
I compared my to do list with my priority list and saw another problem. I spend a chunk of time each day cleaning. Dishes, laundry, vacuuming, scrubbing toilets, it all needs done. I can't devote that much time to it and claim it isn't a priority. But she said to only list 6 priorities.
1. Faith/ Church
2. Marriage
3. Being a Mama Luke
4. Church Drew Cleaning
5. Blog/ Message Board/ Promoting Minimalism
6. Healthy Diet
I don't see where my running/ exercise fits into all of this. And there isn't anything else to combine or get rid of.

My take away lesson from this exercise is that the time we have each day is precious. I waste a ridiculous amount of it on things like Facebook, insignificant texting and some days, Netflix. My goal is to sleep 8 hours/ day. If I spend an hour grooming such as showering and brushing my teeth or washing my hands, that only leaves 15 hours. I spend more than 2 hours/ day preparing food or eating. That leaves 13 hours to complete 6 priorities. And we haven't yet added how much time I spend in my car or waiting at the bus stop. Every minute of every day I have a choice. How am I going to spend my time? Am I going to spend the next hour moving toward my goals or standing still? Knowing my priorities and goals has been my first step.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this post. I have found myself asking, "Is this what I should be doing right now?" I seem to spin my wheels and not get anywhere. Time I wanted to spend with my kids seems to be slipping through my hands. I think it would help to write out my goals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spin my wheels too. I was surprised at how hard it was to narrow it down to 6 priorities. I think a lot of things are "important" that may just have to wait.

      Delete