Saturday, August 29, 2015

Week End Observations


My clothes dryer died on Monday. I tried to fix it myself, because I am stubborn like that. I only succeeded in shocking myself. I guess I should have unplugged it first. Lesson Learned, and not trying that again. This meant I had no clothes dryer from Monday until Saturday when the moderately minimalist husband will help me choose and purchase a new dryer. Mostly, it was totally fine. Since we are minimalists, I keep up on the laundry so that people always have something to wear, in spite of having fewer clothes than the average family. So when the dryer died, no big deal. There were no dirty clothes. Score one for minimalism!

Transparency and honesty are super important to me. So I am going to tell you, having no dryer was nerve wracking. The moderately minimalist husband has 4 button down shirts and a few polo shirts. His dress code at work is a button down shirt and tie Monday- Friday. He was wearing one of the shirts when the dryer died. This meant if he spilled something at breakfast on any of the shirts, I would need to go to the laundry mat or the dry cleaners. He did not. Score one for the moderately minimalist husband! The moderately minimalist children do not have very many pajamas. And they got them dirty. This meant I had to do some washing and line dry a few things. Their PJs weren't as soft as usual, but nobody was any worse for the wear.

My other observation from this week reminded me why I live this life. This week was bumpy. The dryer died, I received news about a family member that was hard to hear and needs to be dealt with, my email was hacked, and I think still not working properly as I have not received an email since it happened. By Friday, I just wanted comfort. So I decided I wasn't going to do anything I didn't want to on Friday. Take the day off. I already take Sunday off, so I know this is possible. Though there are only so many days you can take off in a week and have the home still function well. Friday I decided no laundry (of course), no cleaning, no errands. I ate a meal out, baked cookies with the kids, read stories to my four year old. And my home around me waited. There weren't piles needing dealt with. There weren't tasks left undone. My four year old drifted off to sleep as I read to him and rocked him. And as his eyes closed and that content little smile appeared on his face, all was well.

No comments:

Post a Comment