Thursday, June 11, 2015

Not Blank Walls


I am not a fan of blank walls. And I am not a fan of hanging things on the wall just so I don't have blank walls. So what's a moderate minimalist to do? Be discerning. Only allow things on the walls that have meaning. After all, minimalists aren't nothingists. I don't want to have less for the sake of having less. I want to have less so that I can more appreciate what I do own.

Last week was VBS. I love VBS. A week of friends and songs and learning about God. Our church decided a few years ago not to do cheesy little crafts. You know, the paper plate crafts that come home and you wonder how long you have to keep it to prove that you appreciate it? Our church decided to forego the 5 cheesy crafts for one nice craft that is worth keeping. Last week my boys made chalk boards. And today we hung those chalk boards in the kitchen. They have completely earned their wall space. They remind us of that week of friends and songs and learning about God. They bring us joy. And those are the things worth keeping around.

No comments:

Post a Comment