Friday, June 12, 2015

Wasteful


Do you ever keep something because it seems like it would be wasteful to get rid of it? I bought this blush a month ago. It looked similar to the color I had used up. It is called "glow". Apparently my color is not "glow". My color is "St. Lucia". It took me a month to realize this was not the right color for me. So now I have a blush that has been used for one month, and does not look good on me. What do I do with it? The old me would have kept it on the shelf in my linen closet, because it would be wasteful to throw it away. It would have sat there for 6 months or a year. Then I would have said, that make up is over 6 months old, it needs to be disposed of. But it would have sat there taking up space in my closet and mental space every time I saw it for 6 months. The new me, the moderate minimalist, threw it away today.

Surprisingly what helped me get rid of that blush today is something an old Weight Watchers coach told me. She said, "Don't eat the last bites of food on your plate if you are full. There are 2 choices. You can let it go to waste, or you can let it go to your waist." Her point was that the food is no longer useful. It isn't enough to save for another meal. But eating it wasn't getting money back. It was just causing more work when I had to run it off. Now when I have something that I have purchased and used part of when I realize it isn't quite right, I think about what my weight watchers coach said. I can try to get my money's worth by hanging onto it. Or I can accept that the money is already spent, and let it go. Which will be more freeing? Letting it go.

2 comments:

  1. Good advice! I keep things like this thinking I can use it as "back up" in case I run out of the one I'm currently using. In reality, how many times have I ever "run out" of something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the need for a back up depends on how difficult it is to find the item. If Target has the item, I don't need a back up in my home. Target is storing my back up for me.

      Delete