Monday, June 8, 2015

Minimalist Voices


Standing up and declaring I won't have my success measured by my possessions in our society is not easy. I need encouragement, reminders, some days even direction. Knowing people in the minimalist community who provide that voice is essential. I am compiling a list of minimalists and their strengths. I am sharing the first 5 minimalists today. These are people most everyone in the minimalist community knows. If you are new to minimalism, check them out.

1. Joshua Becker, blogger and author
Joshua blogs at Becoming Minimalist.
http://www.becomingminimalist.com/
Joshua is married with 2 kids. His style of minimalism is very family friendly. He is easily the most inspirational minimalist out there. He is working on a project with orphans in Honduras. He has a very gentle approach. On his blog he has written a letter to family members of minimalists who don't understand the concept. He is known for saying, "Maybe the life you've always wanted to live is buried underneath everything you own."

2. Joshua Fields Milburn and Ryan Nicodemus, bloggers and authors
Joshua and Ryan blog at The Minimalists.
http://www.theminimalists.com/about/
If my single sisters were to come to me tomorrow and tell me they were interested in minimalism, these are the guys I would recommend they follow. They have no kids. The pictures on their blog look a little stark. Very serious about their minimalism. Not really family friendly. They have written the book, Everything That Remains. Joshua has written some about his minimalist diet.

3. Leo Babauta, blogger and author
Leo blogs at Zen Habits.
http://zenhabits.net/
I haven't read much of Leo's stuff. I am not into Zen. But Leo has the feel of a life coach. He concentrates much less on the possessions. He is talking about changing habits and discipline. He has written several ebooks, and one print book, The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Essential in Business and in Life. Leo is known for saying, “Instead of focusing on how much you can accomplish, focus on how much you can absolutely love what you’re doing.”

4. Marie Kondo, author
Marie Kondo wrote The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Marie is a Japanese cleaning consultant. I am going to admit, I don't connect with her style... at all. I think minimizing is about detaching ourselves from our possessions. Our possessions do a job for us. When they are no longer useful they go. Marie believes in having a relationship with your things. Be grateful to your socks for the job they do for you. If you cannot have a relationship with an item, it must go. I am probably not describing it accurately, because I don't get it. But I am mentioning her because I know MANY people who have found great success using her method. So if the first three minimalists don't speak to your heart, try her.

5. Kim John Payne, blogger and author
Kim John Payne blogs at Simplicity Parenting.
http://www.simplicityparenting.com/blog/
Simplicity Parenting is the most life changing minimalist book I have read. And actually, I don't know that the word minimalist was ever used. The book suggests getting rid of half your child's toys, then half it again. And the reasons for doing so are clearly outlined. But the book doesn't stop at possessions. A child needs a rhythm to their day and quiet space. I strongly recommend this book for anyone with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment