Monday, June 15, 2015

Weight Loss Tools and Gadgets- All You Need


My Dr. has asked that I lose 15 lbs. in order to avoid diabetes. Diabetes runs in my family. I also had gestational diabetes during both pregnancies. I am 40. I know this weight loss thing doesn't get any easier as we age. So I am diligently working at my health.

Do you have any idea how much stuff they have out there to help us lose weight? I used to work at Bed Bath and Beyond. Every January we would put weight loss merchandise in the aisles for those with New Year's Resolutions to lose weight. In the "housewares" section there were food scales, measuring cups, measuring spoons, juicers, salad spinners, salad shooters and a gadget to specially cut every fruit and veggie in existence. There are avocado slicers, apple corers, apple slicers, pineapple slicers, banana keepers, strawberry hullers, corn peelers and cherry pitters. On the other side of the store were the yoga pants, tank tops, balance balls, weights, heart rate monitor, work out DVDs, and body scales. There is a lot of money being made off of people getting healthy! Of all the items I named, I own 4. I own measuring cups and spoons. I own a food scale and a body scale.

Losing weight doesn't have to cost a lot of money, or require a lot of stuff. I make healthy food from scratch. I use my knife and cutting board. My knife and cutting board can do all of the things the afore mentioned gadgets could do. I own a very nice pair of running shoes from a running company. They watched me run and helped fit me with the perfect pair of shoes. I run outside. All I need are my shoes. I run in clothes that I already owned. I did not go out and buy special shorts and t-shirts to run in. I am not trying to make anyone feel guilty. Some readers, no doubt, are very serious athletes. You actually need special clothes and equipment. But does the average person need special equipment to lose 15-25 lbs.? Retailers would like people to think all of these things they are selling are necessary. They are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment